Sunday 30 March 2008

Re-re-match

i thought this deserved a post of it's own, rather than ashamedly hiding it at the bottom of another.

IMG_2013

i suppose i have to report this.  Embarrassing as it is.  After our Swiss adventures yesterday we hurried back though Super Chatel and, purely since we were up there, i suggested a re-re-match.

The first run down was a total shambles and this time i have a genuine excuse for losing.  Again.  i was wearing a backpack and as a tucked down into the schuss the frame of the backpack pushed the back of my helmet up and thus down over my eyes, blinding me.  Once i'd corrected this i was totally off balance and had a high-speed, fairly disturbing wobble which i just managed to correct before the finish giving me a speed of only 58kph.  Natalie zoomed down behind me (and in the above photo) and posted a 62kph. Clearly, this result does not count given my equipment failure.

Anyway, we had to get back home for a meeting and time was tight but nevertheless i was adamant of a re-re-re-match.  Natalie consented and back up we went.

This time Natalie took the backpack and skied down first.  Usually i go first but this time, determined to make some kind of change that might affect the result, Natalie set off ahead of me.

Once Natalie was in position with the camera, because obviously, i wanted to film my victory, i athletically launched myself down the slope.  It was a perfect start and i tucked into a tight schuss worthy of Bode Miller himself.

After sliding to the finish, confident of stunning success i eagerly checked the scoreboard to find a speed of 62kph.  Had Natalie posted a slower time that last time?  Was i about to taste sweet victory?  No!  Of course not!  Natalie, obviously, even hampered with a helmet-obscuring backpack, had posted a 66kph.

Officially now, i give up!  The speedtrap system in Chatel is clearly rigged.  Also, i think my salopettes are really non-aerodynamic and my helmet has more vents than Natalie's.  It's so bad i might as well be skiing sideways.  Somehow, i just know Natalie is cheating.  i don't know how, but she is.

3 comments:

TPO said...

haha loser :)

Anonymous said...

You're not a poor loser are you

Ian said...

Who me?