Sunday 28 March 2010

Steep

Now not only the name of an awesome film but probably my favourite type of skiing. As Doug Coombs said "I like the gravitational pull". Physically this makes no sense because that pull is always there, but what he means is the sensation of falling and then slowly arresting that fall as you ski back up the moutain on each turn. You are literally flying just above the ground.

Once you're prepared to let yourself go steep skiing actually requires very little effort. You easily launch yourself off the mountain. Sail for as long as you dare (in my case probably only about 3m) and then turn in, compress, and repeat. Fabulous.

Yesterday I had my most epic ski ever. An untouched powder line on a curtain ridge about 200m long at about 45 degrees. I bounced through the turns, throwing myself down the slope, hitting the powder, compressing, and then shooting back up out of the snow, making a flying, banking turn before hitting the snow on the descent again.

The best bit was that Natalie was across a narrow gully from me and had front row seats to the best ski of my life. Awesome.

No comments: