Thursday 18 March 2010

Thank you Doug Coombs

Admittedly I have spent rather a lot of my free time watching and re-watching the awesome ski-u-mentary Steep. If you haven't seen it you need to go and rent it immediately. I originally saw it at the Imax in London and now own a very well worn DVD which is just as amazing on my current tiny fishbowl TV screen.

Anyway the movie features Doug Coombs, an unbelievably good freeride ski mountaineer who tragically died trying to rescue a friend at La Grave in 2006 during the production of the movie. One of his more awesome scenes is of him tree-skiing some great powder in the States.

At the beginning of his run he pushes himself up and back on his poles, lifts his uphill ski and pulls it right back and points it directly down the hill. Next he hops off the bottom ski and does a semi-jumping half turn and begins his run.

This all takes place in less than a second in one fluid motion. It is an awesome way of getting started on steep stuff because, from the outset, your skis are pointed down the hill and you can already start your first turn.

I've used this technique, obviously nowhere near as well or as quick or as fluid, but nevertheless to great effect on some steepish stuff over here. It really complements my somewhat overly aggressive style because I can really get into my ski position and therefore make an effective turn before I've even started moving. Awesome.

So thank you Doug Coombs. What an absolutely brilliant skier he was.

No comments: