Thursday 14 January 2010

How not to do many things


Ok, so I was going to write some small, individual pieces on:

How not to ski: On day one of my 2009/2010 skiing on the first run of the season I took a sharp steep bend at speed, embedded my skis in some icy slush and landed on my head. Great. Now i've had a sore chest and back from the whiplash for two weeks. Panic not parental ones, i'm fine, just stupid. And i've learnt my lesson. Until next time.

How not to live-in-Geneva: Geneva traffic is worse than London. I kid you not. On my first day it took me 4 hours to get to work and 2 back. I've since found a better route and I'm averaging 1.5 hours each way now. I suspect that once the enormous amount of snow has gone, the traffic will become less insane. However, it might have been slightly easier to not live 70km away from work. However-even-more, our chalet is awesome and it's rather nice living in a ski resort. Boast boast, the snow is awesome yada yada.

How not to "something-witty-about-work (editor: don't post until you've thought of something)": Yeah so work is ok. It's very early days. My manager has disappeared with the BA off to the States this week so i'm trying to figure things out on my own. Awesome. In a nutshell, it's ok. You might want to e-mail me for a more complete answer. I'm working on a new-client risk analysis and compliance system. I'll give you a more thorough answer when i've got one.

The people are very nice and welcoming. Everyone is extremely polite. I apparently work in the Tower of Babel as I regularly hear English, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, etc. And it is very French, which is great for my vocabulary.

Is the grass greener? I couldn't possibly say. Yet. It's definitely whiter.

So yeah. I'm going skiing on Saturday and Sunday and possibly a spot of Raquetting too. Next weekend we're off to Sankt Anton am Arlberg in Austria to meet Sam for a spot of skiing and some light family reunion and dog walking.

Anyway, more important than any of this. Why haven't you booked your ski holiday with us yet? Come on the Winter won't last forever. I hope.

4 comments:

Isaac said...

No Afrikaans in the Tower of Babel?

You'll be glad to hear that we are going from strength to strength without you. I always knew you were holding us back!

Good luck figuring out how everything works, remember, if in doubt, just release it and see what happens...

Andrew M said...

You managed to injure yourself on the first run of the first day of skiing?! schoolboy error!
Hope you're all recovered now dude.

Ian said...

Actually, today I spoke Afrikaans to my desk-neighbour who is Dutch. I couldn't really understand what he was saying but it was fun nevertheless.

The real reason I left youDevise is that I knew I was the weak link in an otherwise unbreakable chain.

Queue violins now.

Ian said...

And for Andrew: a little bit. I think I really mashed some ligaments around my sternum and it hurts when I: Breathe in or out, turn, sit up, lie down, sit down, walk, stand, or just keep really still.

It is slightly better and only hurts now as opposed to being utterly debilitating causing me to literally cry out with anguished, unmatched pain.

I love skiing. Did you know that?