Wednesday 20 January 2010

It is snowy in the Alps


Yip, lots of snow. Absolutely terrifying trip home this evening. I'm convinced that the recession has led to there being fewer snow-ploughs about so it was very exciting getting home. I've decided to go via Thonon-les-Bains on snow-days because the mountain road is less windy and steep than going via the motorway. It'll take longer but then I won't, hopefully feel like I need a lie down after the trip.

I realise I haven't said very much about the acual skiing here. Herewith, a Portes-du-Soleil January summary: there's oodles of snow, there's more snow every few days. Every time we've been out we've found some off-piste that's pretty decent, good bumps, not too icy, and patches of truly epically good snow - feels like you're sliding down warm, lightly sweetened butter. I think not skiing as often, but regularly is helping me improve. i've got a lot more energy for moguls on legs that haven't skied for 5 days.

Every weekend so far we've skied both days, and on the Sunday we go racquetting after the ski which Scarlett, Natalie, and I really love. It's 27 Euros to rent randonee skis for a day so we'll probably try that in early February. I'm personally extremely keen to ski the Col de Coux.

On Friday we're driving out to Sankt Anton am Arlberg in Austria (that's that place where they throw boom-er-angs and wear hats with corks in them i think - Tony may know better as he is from there) so i'm sure you're thrilled about reading my upcoming resort review.

2 comments:

Michael Williamson said...

"On Friday we're driving out to Sankt Anton am Arlberg in Austria (that's that place where they throw boom-er-angs and wear hats with corks in them i think - Tony may know better as he is from there)"

That's not Austria, silly. It's New Zealand... right?

Ian said...

i thought New Zealand was a town in in the mid-West US?